Professional Real Estate ServicesJim Spooner, Broker/REALTOR®CALL: 561-239-8537
SIEMENS GROUP REALTY | 561-239-8537
Remember - many of your moving expenses are tax deductible, so hang on to your receipts. Call the Internal Revenue Service and request "Tax Information On Moving Expenses" to find out which moving expenses you can deduct.
One Month Before Moving
- Pick up a Change-of-Address Kit from the Post Office and fill out for:
- Insurance companies
- Credit card companies
- Magazines and newspapers - to cancel local newspaper delivery
- Doctors, dentists and other providers - to transfer drug prescriptions
- Past employer - for W2 forms
For full service moves:
- Get written estimates from several moving companies
- Will the movers pack for you?
- What items won't they move?
- Get appraisals of high-value items in case of future claims
- Videotape your home and its contents for future reference in case of future claims
For do-it-yourself moves
- Make arrangements for truck rental and moving help, and buy packing supplies:
- Packing and masking tape
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Pack your vital documents in one place:
Passports, Military records, Mortgage records, Marriage license, Birth certificates, Vehicle titles, Stock certificates, Insurance papers, Bank
records, School records, Medical records
- Make arrangements to disconnect your utilities. Get refunds for any deposits made. Have meters read. Give new address for them to send their final bill: Cable - return box if necessary, Electric, Gas, Fuel, Telephone, Water
- Make arrangements to connect utilities to your New Home.
- Make arrangements for cleaning your old home.
- Inquire about your new Florida's auto licensing procedure and auto insurance rates.
- Check with your insurance company about transferring coverage to your New Home.
- Arrange to have a sitter watch your children away from the house on moving day.
One Week Before Moving
- Dispose of any flammable items: lawn mower gas, snow blower gas, paint aerosol cans
- Plan what goes in the car with you: Toys and games for kids, Special breakable items or collections, Important documents and records, Change of clothes and toiletries for your first day, Vacuum cleaner - if you want to clean right away, Toilet paper, First aid kit, Food kit with bottled water, cereal, bananas
- Make travel arrangements for your pets and plants.
- Purchase moving insurance if you have valuable antiques and collections.
- Have your car tuned up, oil changed and ready for the trip.
The Day Before Moving
- Defrost, clean and air out your refrigerator.
- Clean your stove.
- Make sure you have payment ready for the mover - they will not unpack without a check.
- Check your moving company's payment policies.
- Purchase traveler's checks for other possible expenses.
- Pack your former town's phone book for future correspondence.
- Get a simple breakfast ready for the next morning.
- Pick up ice and beverages for moving day.
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Get a good night's sleep!
- Strip your beds.
- Moving company - will they disassemble the beds? Show movers around. Make sure your possessions to be moved are inventoried with them.
- Get all keys together. Put in a safe spot.
- Make sure moving van driver has correct address, phone number and directions.
- Confirm delivery date with movers.
- Check all rooms one last time.
- Remember closets and cupboards, basement and garage!
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked.
Feel free to contact me if I can be of any service!
SIEMENS GROUP REALTY
Buyers, Inquire Here
SIEMENS GROUP REALTY | 561-239-8537